Why Men’s Health is a Women’s Health Issue in the Perinatal Stage (sponsored by Needed)
Needed is a nutrition company delivering optimal nourishment for women and their partners before, during, and after pregnancy. Needed is the #1 women’s health brand among nutritionally trained practitioners, and is backed by the recommendation of thousands of perinatal health experts. Their products and educational content are grounded in the latest clinical research and the in-practice experience of its practitioner collective. Needed delivers what you need to thrive, not just survive, along the perinatal journey and the parenting years beyond.
You likely know how important it is for women to take a prenatal vitamin before, during, and after pregnancy. After all, when it comes to building a family, a lot of the focus is put on women’s nutrition. But, did you know that MEN need prenatal nutritional support too?
That’s right! Prenatal supplements for men are needed to support libido, sperm health, brain function, hair health, and overall vitality.
The Impact of Men’s Health
Men’s role in the perinatal stage cannot be understated, because when men don’t optimize their own health, it can impact fertility outcomes and the health of the baby for years to come.
Why? Because sperm contribute 50% of a baby’s DNA, and male factors are responsible for roughly ⅓ to ½ of all instances of infertility and pregnancy loss. The health of sperm is influenced by many factors, including the effects of our environment, diet and lifestyle. Sperm take an average of 100 days to mature, and during this time period they are especially vulnerable. The good news is it doesn’t take long to “turn over” more optimal sperm!
And it doesn’t end there…
Men’s health doesn’t cease to matter after conception occurs (acknowledging that this can happen in many different ways). The dad years that follow are demanding (hello, sleepless nights and preschool germs – all while aiming for some kind of work-life balance!). So it is important to continue to support health well into the dad years that follow for optimal energy, immunity, libido, brain function, hair health, and overall vitality.
What can you do about it?
- What can a man do to support his optimal health from preconception and into the dad years? It starts with supporting himself through five key diet and lifestyle factors:
- Healthy diet: Include more color in your daily plates in the form of antioxidant-rich raw and cooked fruits and vegetables, and prioritize pastured eggs and poultry, grass-fed beef, and wild caught fish. Skip the processed foods, refined carbs, excess sugar, and poor quality oils (like canola and other vegetable and seed oils).
- Targeted supplementation: Due to depleted soils, a disrupted food system, and busy lives, even the best diet is unable to cover everything a man needs for optimal health and fertility.
- Movement: Exercise is beneficial to both physical and mental health, as well as optimal fertility and sleep.
- Stress management: Some stress is inevitable, but too much can influence sperm quality, mood, and physical wellbeing.
- Reduction of toxin exposure: Avoid or limit things like alcohol and other substances, as well as endocrine disrupting chemicals in plastics, household cleaners, and personal care products.
Needed’s Men’s line supports a man’s health with a comprehensive multivitamin/mineral blend, a tailored Pre/Probiotic, and a vegan and sustainably sourced Omega-3 with extra Choline, and added antioxidants.
- Needed’s Men’s Multi contains 23 optimally dosed vitamins and minerals like B12 for energy, active Folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, Zinc, and Antioxidants for sperm health, Biotin for hair health and so much more.
- Needed’s Omega-3+ is a vegan and sustainably sourced Omega-3 with extra Choline, and added antioxidants.
- Needed’s tailored Pre/Probiotic for men that supports an overall healthy male microbiome, especially for those wishing to conceive. The gut microbiome plays a huge role in male fertility, including sperm development and function. Sperm health impacts conception outcomes and the health of a growing baby, so supporting sperm development is key.
- Needed’s CoQ10 supports sperm quality, energy production, metabolism, and protects cells from damage.
Needed’s Men’s Complete Plan includes all the nutrients men need to support optimal health, fertility, and energy when trying to conceive and all throughout the dad years to come.
The Bottom Line
We know that 1 in 8 couples find themselves having difficulty getting pregnant and 1 in 4 pregnancies ends in a loss. While much of the focus and education around fertility and perinatal health centers solely on women, men’s health plays a vital role as well.
The good news is, just as there are prenatal vitamins and ways to support a woman’s health before, during, and after pregnancy, there are ways to support and focus on men’s health during these crucial times as well. Men need high quality nutritional perinatal support, too!